– Use personal hashtags – Your personal brand is something that you want to promote through social media and this is easily achieved by creating your own trends by using hashtags.
If you are hosting an event, create a hashtag (such as #harveyandhugoevent), ask everyone at the event to use it watch your trend flourish!
– Remember social media is your friend to discover news – Social media is the Holy Grail for discovering what is happening around you. Don’t hesitate to share events and news from news websites to social media because your friends will appreciate it!
– Be cautious when tagging people in photos – Not everyone wants to be tagged in photographs. But social media has made de-tagging an accepted practice so don’t take offence if someone removes their tag. It’s personal preference after all.
– Build your reputation responsibly – An essential rule of etiquette is to network responsibly. Respect others and remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion and if you don’t like a comment, just scroll past or you can report or block the person. There is no need for a heated online debate.
– Golden rule – “To do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” As your mum always told you, use your common sense and treat everyone else as you would like to be treated yourself both face to face and on social media.