Back to the blog
Key social media statistics to take into the next decade
And just like that, another year is almost over.
The final one of this decade has been packed with highs and lows, stories and scandals. We’ve seen an endless stream of PR stunts, many incredible celebrity dramas (thank you, Colleen Rooney) and more #Brexmas content than we can consume.
But what can we take away from another busy year in the social media stratosphere? Here are the stats you need to be aware of as we head into the roaring 20’s once again…
- There is a total of 1.3 billion Twitter accounts. For some context, the world’s population is 7.7 billion
- On average, around 6,000 tweets are sent every second, so it’s important to stand out!
- Video tweets bring 10x higher engagement
- 92% of companies tweet more than once a day – make sure you’re one of them
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day – that’s six new profiles every second
- Worldwide, 26.3% of the population use Facebook, a big audience for your marketing to reach
- There are 60 million active business pages on Facebook
- More than 250 billion photos have now been uploaded to the platform, which equates to 350 million per day
- LinkedIn may have started slowly, with only 6,000 signups in its first month, but it now boasts over 500 million members
- The average CEO has 930 LinkedIn connections – is it time to get networking?
- Over 3 million companies have a LinkedIn page
- Are you recruiting? Studies show that 75% of people who changed jobs used LinkedIn to help them decide to move
- Over 95 million photos are uploaded to the site each day…
- And 4.2 billion likes are handed out every day
- 90 per cent of Instagram users are younger than 35 – something to bear in mind when thinking about your target market
- When Instagram introduced videos in 2013, three years after it was created, over 5 million were shared in the first 24 hours
So, video and animation are on the rise again, choosing a platform to suit your audience is key and it’s more important than ever to have a presence on social networks.
If you need help with your social media strategy heading into 2020, throw us a bone on 01325 486666 and The Pack will be more than happy to get the ball rolling.
Biggest changes to social media platforms in 2019
Three steps for creating a social media campaign with impact