Back to the blog
The dos and don’ts of effective email marketing
Ever found an important email in your spam folder a month after it was received? How about opening an email filled with blank boxes?
We all have a love hate relationship with email marketing, we either love to send it or hate to receive it. But there are many ways to make opening your emails much more enticing.
Here’s a quick list of dos and don’ts for effective email marketing:
- DO make sure you include an unsubscribe link at the bottom.
- DO give full contact information. Not only does this make the email look more personal, it also ensures you are not seen as spam.
- DO add a subheading. The first few lines will be displayed in your recipient’s inbox and will increase open rates.
- DO make it personal. The more targeted your email, the more likely you’ll get a response.
- DO make your subject compelling and short. Think about what makes you click through to read more about an email as opposed to immediately deleting.
- DON’T send emails to people unless they have asked for them. Copying and pasting email lists you have collected from the internet, or other people is a huge no-no.
- DON’T send the same email to everyone on your contacts database. If your emails aren’t targeted, they won’t get a response.
- DON’T give your email list to another person or organisation. Not only are you giving away valuable marketing data, you are actually breaking the law.
- DON’T send emails with large files attached. Many inboxes will send it straight to the spam folder unless you are a recognised sender.
- DON’T forget to include social media links. Make it easy for people to forward your email or to share it with friends or even to bookmark it.
Related links: New Year’s resolutions for marketing your business: http://harveyandhugo.com/new-years-resolutions-for-marketing-your-business/
So you’re ready for some PR? http://harveyandhugo.com/so-youre-ready-for-some-pr/